Simple Guide To Mold And Moisture Control For Homeowners
While both mold and mushrooms are in the same fauna group (fungi or funguses), one tastes great with steak or on pizzas (mushrooms) while the other is an annoying hazard that can ruin your house and cause health problems (mold).
Mold thrives in humid, damp, dark environments, so one important way to prevent or treat mold in your home is to practice moisture control tactics. While many home moisture removers claim they work well but going through them to find one that really works can be a hassle and expensive. A moisture absorber environment will help the very common problem of mold and mildew in homes, especially in more humid locations.
What is Mold?
Mold, though a huge problem inside the house, is a natural part of the outside environment. Mold actually helps break down material that is dead and decaying, so outside the home, mold is not harmful or destructive–it’s actually helpful! Mold in the home is destructive since mold consumes and destroys anything it attaches to. Once mold begins to grow in your home, it will produce allergens and other irritants to the respiratory system and will cause toxic substances called mycotoxins to grow. If your family constantly breathes in what mold puts out into the air in your home, they can get really sick. For this reason, it’s imperative that you find out if you have mold in your home (it is not always visible), and you get it treated as soon as possible.
Since mold needs damp conditions to spread it will grow the best in rooms where there’s a lot of moisture on the walls. The following household problems or situations may cause mold to grow:
- • Drainage issues
- • Leaky roofs
- • Gutters that are clogged
- • Flooded basement
- • Crawlspaces that are damp
- • Wet or damp basements or leaks in the basement
- • Bathroom leaks
- • Improper insulation
- • Improper ventilation
- • Use of humidifiers
- • Wet clothes drying indoors
When moisture collects on windows, uninsulated walls and roofs because indoor air is warmer than the outdoor air, mold may form on those surfaces. While mold may be “natural” outdoors, it’s not natural indoors, and it has a terrible smell and can be harmful to your health. Moisture control in your home and the use of quality moisture removers if this problem should occur are important to keeping mold outside, where it belongs, rather than in your home.
One of the best things you can do to prevent mold in your home is invest in moisture removers. Lewis Peck knows how important it is for home owners to become familiar with moister prevention products in order to avoid the headaches and health problems mold can cause.